Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Recipe Renovation: Taco Seasoning

You have heard it said over and over, but it is the truth. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients in a food you eat, DO NOT EAT IT! I love tacos and any cuisine that is Mexican/Spanish inspired. Growing up, the store-bought taco mixes was all I ever knew. It was not until I started to make health a priority in my life that I looked at what was in the mix.


Many of the brands contain monosodium glutamate, also known as MSG. If you do not know the harmful effects that MSG can have on your health, check out this brochure I found. The most important decision you can make is to become educated about what you are putting in your body. Knowledge is the key to SUCCESS! 

Here is a simple spice rub I put together in substitution of that scary, pre-packaged taco seasoning.

E&M Spice Rub

1 T Paprika
1 T Chili Powder
1 T Cumin
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Onion Powder
1 T Oregano
*Pinch Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

*Add as much or as little as desired, depending on the heat level you prefer.
Tip: Make a large batch of this and keep it in an air-tight container to use when needed.

This seasoning works well on Salmon Tacos, chicken, and beef. I also like to add it to canned, organic black beans on top of quinoa! Delish!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I know nothing but store-bought taco mix! Perhaps I need to switch things up? I wish I was more of a foodie. Love your blog, Meghan!

XO,
Jenna

Meghan Rae said...

Yes!!! Switch, please!!! Or find an all-natural one!

Thanks, girlie!! I'm still learning tons.

Love yours also!!

Erika of Style Activist said...

OH MY GOSH! E&M! This is the best stuff in the world. I use it for everything. Delicious.

Love this and you!

XO,
Erika
www.styleactivist.com

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

This is so surprising, I thought MSG was like trans-fat in the sense that it had been outlawed from basically everything. Your seasoning sounds so easy!! I'm def going to use it next time it's mexican night in my apt. Thanks for the heads-up!!

xo, Ashley

Meghan Rae said...

Ashley,

So glad to hear it!! Let me know what you think!!

Meghan Rae

Marissa said...

I use a variation of your E&M when I cook anything needing a Mexicano spice! It tastes so much better, and you know it's better for you!

XXXO
M