Thursday, January 6, 2011

Obsessed with Quinoa

Earlier today I was talking to a friend about Quinoa. Sometimes I feel like I am saving people by telling them about the "secret" of this miracle food. I am absolutely obsessed with it. It is full of fiber and packed with protein. You do not even have to pair it with a legume to make it a complete protein! Not only is it good for you, but is a breeze to prepare. All it takes is a little bit of water and 15 minutes!

I thought I would share with you one my favorite recipes. It is simple and inexpensive, but does not lack in deliciousness! I make this often and am always craving it!



What you need: Yields 4 servings
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water

Directions: Add rinsed quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover until tender. About 15 minutes.

1 can organic black beans
1 medium onion
1 red pepper, optional
1-2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled
E & M Spice Rub

Directions: Saute onion and red pepper on medium heat in 1-2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil for about 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Add the black beans, garlic, bay leaves, and spice rub. Heat on medium low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Top the quinoa with black beans and enjoy! Top with guacamole or sliced avocados, if desired! 

5 comments:

emilypanda said...

Wow I'd never thought about making Quinoa before. One of my resolutions for the year is to try to cook a more diverse set of dishes, I'll add this one to the list! (I mean you make it seem so easy!)

Emily//TheLesserPanda

Meghan Rae said...

I'm so excited! Please let me know how you like it!!

L said...

Yay, my first time visiting your blog. I love it! I've gotta try this quinoa.

Meghan Rae said...

Yay!!! So excited! Glad to see you blogging again!

Becky said...

I made quinoa for the first time this week, and I am officially on the bandwagon! Thanks for sharing this :)